View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1106
Children : Cameron, nearly 4, Alyssa, 20 months
Interests/hobbies : Pretty much anything,Piano, knitting, reading, internet, my website and forum, and obviously my kids
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Smoking ban   Sat Jun 30 2007, 13:44

The smoking ban comes into force tomorrow. From then, no-one is allowed to smoke in a public place or workplace.

What do you think will happen because of this?

One great thing, is no more passive smoking. But will clubs and pubs be no more? What about smoking in your home home when a health visitor (and the like) stops by?

Smokers will not be allowed to smoke in their own home for an hour before the visitor is due, until they leave.

Is it right people should be told not to smoke in their own homes? Would you class your home as someone elses workplace?

Personally, I think the smoking ban is a great idea. I'll be able to go to pubs for dinner with my children without worrying about them breathing in smoke. I've never been a clubber anyway so that doesn't affect me.

BUT, a persons home in THEIR home IMO. I don't think anyone has the right to tell people not to smoke in their homes because they're visiting.

I understand them not wanting to breathe in your smoke, but 1) most people wouldn't light up infront of you anyway, 2) the people who need HV (and the like) coming for a home visit (as apposed to going to the gp themselves) are usually the ones who need the most help, and would be aggressive if asked to stop smoking, so it would be counter productive.

What do you think?

mums-r-us! All a parent needs! Join our community!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mums-r-us.com
Kate
Teenage tearaway
Teenage tearaway

Female
Number of posts : 358
Children : Yes, 3. (5, 3 and 1)
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Smoking ban   Sat Jun 30 2007, 16:15

I can see both sides really.

If I couldn't leave the house, and I was a smoker, I'd be really angry is someone ordered me not to smoke in my home, not that I would with people visiting anyway, but to be told what to do in my own home is out of order IMO.

On the other hand, if I was a social worker, or health visitor, I would HAVE to go to someone elses house, no choice about it, so I'd resent having people puffing away and not having the same rights as other workers will have with the smoking ban.

I'd still lean towards, 'my house, my rules' though. There are risks with any job, and a social worker, hv etc would have known there may be smokers, big dogs, etc when they trained for it, so they can't really moan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lyndsey
Newborn
Newborn

Female
Number of posts : 7
Children : josh 3 yrs
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Smoking ban   Thu Nov 27 2008, 16:06

Ive never been a smoker but all my family are. I agree your house your rules, & if someone comes into your home you should still be allowed to smoke if you choose. I think majority of people out of courtesy do not smoke infront of visitors or others anyway. What right does anyone have to say you shouldnt smoke in your own home when someone is there?
Im glad the pubs/clubs are smoke free now, but i also get annoyed as everyone i know smokes so it leaves me the only one sat in the pub watching the drinks whilst everyone is outside puffing away lol i end up standing outside with them lol
On the whole im glad the smoking ban came in!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoking ban   

Back to top Go down

Smoking ban
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1